SOPHIA SATCHEL - SINGLE INTERIOR - pdf sewing pattern in Engish
SOPHIA SATCHEL WITH THE SINGLE INTERIOR
THIS IS THE PDF PATTERN FOR THE SOPHIA SATCHEL SINGLE INTERIOR SEWING PATTERN.
PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO WHICH VERSION YOU ARE PURCHASING AS THERE IS ALSO A DOUBLE INTERIOR VERSION AVAILABLE!!!
PLEASE NOTE: Since this pattern is a digital download, once an order has been placed, it cannot be refunded.
This listing is for 1 PDF pattern to make the SOPHIA SATCHEL WITH THE SINGLE INTERIOR. This pdf pattern includes full instructions, full pattern pieces as well as over 3 hours of full video tutorials to help you achieve the perfect Bag and is in ENGLISH ONLY.
The SOPHIA SATCHEL measures 10½” W x 8” H x 4½” D and is a Classic Handbag style with a touch of elegance. This Handbag not only reflects high end styling, but it also offers a unique handle design. A flip lock or turn lock secures the Flap which has a small contrast piping for that finished detail. The handle is attached to gate rings which are secured to grommets at the top of the Flap. The gate rings also provide a place to connect your removable crossbody strap so that you can carry your bag “hands free”. The interior is a single section style which gives you full view of your interior as well as a zippered pocket and a divided slip pocket. The snap on the sides allows the handbag to cinch in for that sleek look.
This classic A-line design and unique top strap will have people asking where they can buy such a fabulous bag!!!
The instructions in this pattern are written for leather and vinyl, however fabric could be used on the Body and Flap of this bag, but the handle and crossbody strap will require vinyl or leather due to the raw edges.
The skill level is listed as INTERMEDIATE
FULL EXTERIOR INCLUDING CROSSBODY STRAPS - 8.5 square ft.
NOTE: You will need to make sure that you have a piece of leather that is 48” long for the 2 crossbody strap pieces.
FULL EXTERIOR INCLUDING CROSSBODY STRAPS - 2/3 yard of 54” wide vinyl
½ yard lining fabric - 44” wide
NOTE: IF YOU PREFER TO LINE THE FLAP WITH INTERIOR FABRIC RATHER THAN VINYL OR LEATHER THEN YOU WILL NEED 2/3 yard instead
INTERFACINGS AND STABILIZERS
1 yard of 20”W medium weight fusible interfacing OR ½ yard 40”W medium weight fusible interfacing
Decovil Light - 1 strip - ⅝” x 48”, 1 strip - ⅝” x 14”, 2 pieces 1¾” x 14”, 1 piece 3½” x 9¾”
Bag Stiffener - 1 piece - 2¼” x 7½”, 1 piece - 3¼” x 9¾”
Adhesive Foam - 5 pieces 9” x 12” (Michaels “CREATOLOGY™” recommended)
NOTE: YOU CAN USE ANNIE’S SOFT & STABLE FOAM BUT YOU NEED A FABRIC GLUE, CONTACT CEMENT OR SPRAY ADHESIVE TO SECURE IT IN PLACE AS THIS FOAM IS NOT SEWN IN THE SEAMS
- # 3 Nylon Zipper - 1 @ 7” finished size OR 9”- Zipper Tape for the interior zippered pocket
1 - Flip Lock* or Turn Lock *NOTE: IF USING A FLIP LOCK YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE THAT IT LOCKS IN PLACE, AS NOT ALL FLIP LOCKS ARE SECURE…I RECOMMEND EMMALINES LARGE FLIP LOCK. IF YOU ARE UNCERTAIN ABOUT YOUR FLIP LOCK THEN USE A TURN LOCK!!!
4 - Size 2 Metal Grommets (Buckleguy has good ones) or 10mm inner width Force Fit Grommets
- 2 - 1” OR 1¼” Gate Rings (NOTE: If you use a spring hinge gate ring, then you need to make sure that it has a jagged catch mechanism so it will not hyper-extend when the bag has a lot of weight)
- 1 - ¾” Center Bar Buckles
- 4 - ¾” Swivel Hooks
- 2 sets of line 20 rings or spring snaps
- 5 - 8mm or 9.2mm Double Capped Rivets (make sure you have a variety of post lengths available)
- 1 - 28” piece of 1.8mm Cording (for piping)
TOOLS AND NOTIONS
- Bonded nylon thread Tex 70 #69 OR bonded polyester
- Wonder clips
- Chalk marker/silver pen (Tandy™ leather)/disappearing pen
- Regular pen or pencil
- Rotary cutter & ruler
- Fabric glue (most brands will do that state “use for fabric”) (I use Rowley Fringe Adhesive)
- Tandy Eco Weld water-based leather glue OR Springfield “EverTack” OR Aquilim 315
- Rubber/Contact cement (for vinyl or for leather)
- ⅛”, ¼” and ½” DST (double-sided tape) (I use leather tape from Cleaners Supply)
- ⅛” rivet hole punch and rivet setter for 8mm/9.2mm double capped rivets
- Poly roller tool
- Poly rubber mallet
- Teflon foot/walking foot
- Sewing machine
- #16 or #18 leather or round tip needle
- Skewer or edge paint roller tool
- 4”- 5” doll needle
- Anvil (optional)
- ¾” Oval hole punch (for Buckle)
- Edge paint (optional)
- Scotch Tape or shipping tape
- Tiny star screw driver
- Pointed Awl
- Grommet hole punch and setting tool
How to choose the correct vinyl for this bag
When choosing a vinyl use one that has a bit more body or a little stiffer to help the bag stay upright. Foam is used in this bag for support as well, however If you use a softer feel vinyl then it is recommended you use a closed cell foam to give it the required structure. ALWAYS test your vinyl to establish the proper heat setting when pressing. Never iron from the right side, always iron from the wrong side.
How to choose the correct leather for this bag
You should choose leather that is at least 2 - 3.5 oz and has more body or a little stiffer feel. Bear in mind that if you are using leather that is more than 2 oz, then you may require skiving the Exterior pieces as shown on the skiving page. If you use a softer feel leather then it is recommended to use a closed cell foam to give it the required structure. The crossbody strap should be closer to the 2 oz
thickness, as there are multiple layers and it will be easier to sew. If not you will need to skive these pieces.
If you have an industrial machine, then you may be able to sew 2 oz leather that will not require any skiving. Choose your leather based on your machines capability, and the finished look that you want to achieve.
Helpful leather guide: 2 - 3 oz = 1/32”- 3/64” OR .8mm - 1.2mm thick.